How to Grill Vegetables in a Foil Packet
Grilling thin or sliced vegetables on the barbecue can be tricky because they have a tendency to slip through the cooking grates. Instead, try grilling them in foil packets. This method requires minimal attention and the end result is more tender and flavorful vegetables. And as a bonus, clean up is a breeze!
Foil packet grilling is dead simple: lay down a sheet of tin foil, fill it with your veggie of choice, season with olive oil or butter, salt and pepper, seal it up, and toss it on the grill.
Here are the ingredients and materials you’ll need to make your own foil veggie grilling packets:
Ingredients and Materials
- Assorted vegetables — Almost any type of vegetable can be grilled using this method. It works especially well for smaller vegetables like baby carrots, green beans, or sugar snap peas. Larger vegetables like potatoes, zucchini, and bell peppers should be sliced or diced in to smaller pieces before sealing them in the foil packet.
- Herbs and spices — Try using rosemary, thyme, garlic, or even just salt and pepper to add flavor.
- Olive oil or butter — Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil or dab them with butter.
- Heavy duty tin foil — Thinner aluminum foil tears easily, so be sure to use a heavy duty foil.
- Tongs — Use a good pair of tongs help take your foil packets off the grill.
Preparing the Vegetables
- Gather and wash your vegetables.
- Slice and dice the larger vegetables so that they’re all approximately the same size and thickness. This will ensure that all the veggies cook at the same rate.
- In a large bowl, add a bit of olive oil and season the vegetables with your favorite herbs and spices. Toss it around in the bowl.
Preparing the Foil Packet
- We recommend creating one foil packet for each type of vegetable you want to grill. Different vegetables cook at different rates, and this allows you to control cooking times by vegetable type.
- Tear off a sheet heavy duty aluminum foil. It should be large enough so that you can fold the ends and sides together into a sealed packet.
- Place your seasoned veggies in the center of the sheet.
- Bring two edges of the sheet together.
- Fold over the edge to secure it.
- Fold the edges to completely seal the packet.
Grilling the Vegetables in Foil Packets
- Place your sealed packet on a preheated grill over low or indirect heat.
- Most veggies cook in about 10 minutes. Make sure to flip the packet once at the halfway mark. For exact cooking times, take a look at our infographic guide to grilling vegetables.
- Take the foil packets off the grill using your tongs.
- Tear open the foil packets and serve. Better yet, give everyone their own packet to open up at the table.
Grilled vegetables in foil packets are a great accompaniment to just about any grilled protein. Be creative and try out different types of vegetable and herb/spice combinations for different results. Don’t forget to share with us any exciting combinations you’ve tried by posting it in our comment box below!
Get ready for your next cookout with more delicious BBQ recipes!